Yesterday, Mommy was very agitated. I don't know quite what she was upset about, but she tried to hit me. She said she was "trying to protect herself". She also asked if I had been the only one in there, and when I said I was, she apologized - she must have been hallucinating that someone else was in there, doing something to threaten her.
After I got her settled down and back in bed, she asked, "Does my dad know where to find me? Does he know I'm here?" I explained that yes, he knows where she is, and that he's watching over her from heaven. I bet she was wishing he would come on the weekend and bring her a Hershey bar and take her to the movies.
The hallucinations and her odd behavior must have unnerved me a bit, when I had to walk the dogs later than usual, after dark. As we went down the hill to a very dark part of the road, shaded from the moonlight, I thought I saw, like a mist - rather than felt - a "hot steam"- a hot spot in the road that Jem and Scout (To Kill A Mockingbird) think is "somebody who can't get to heaven, just wallows around on lonesome roads an' if you walk through him, when you die you'll be one too, an' you'll go around at night suckin' people's breath-". I quoted from the book, the thing you are supposed to say when you walk through one, "Angel-bright, life-in-death; get off the road, don't suck my breath!" I chuckled, and felt silly for feeling the least bit afraid.
When I got back, Mommy was wondering "what's up with the chicken business?" She says "a woman brought chickens into there" - pointing at the bathroom. Yes, definitely hallucinating.
She is constantly moving one leg and flapping one arm (as if fanning with the covers), and is very agitated. There are days where she is unable to walk, at all, but then it comes back to her, and I find her sitting on the couch watching "those people who are always looking in the window." I tell her that's not a window, it's the tv. They can't see you.
No comments:
Post a Comment