Wednesday, November 5, 2008

God Bless America

So, we went and voted yesterday. For weeks Mommy has been asking, "Am I registered to vote here? Where do we vote? How will I get there? When do we vote?" Finally, the big day arrived, and we went and voted (there were long lines, but one kind poll worker came and pulled the three more feeble looking ladies-one in a wheelchair, one with a cane, and Mommy, to come to the front of the line-I got to go, by default"she's with me"). We got to the car, and Mommy asked, " So, what did we vote for?" When John got home, he asked how voting went? She didn't remember voting.

Oh, thus be it ever, when free men shall stand between their loved homes and war's desolation.
Blessed with victory and peace, may this heaven-rescued land, praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation.
Then, conquer we must, when our cause it is just; and this be our motto: In God Is Our Trust!
And the star spangled banner, in triumph, yet waves o'er the land of the free and home of the brave!

How can you not love the national anthem, the flag, the pledge, the ideals our country was set up on? How can you take the American Dream of coming to this country (legally) and working hard and long to build a home and future for your family, and make it wrong or selfish to have done so? How can we have elected someone who has so little regard for all we hold dear; truth, honor and justice? How can our country survive?...I guess the same way we survived it before, when Clinton was in office... by believing that our founding fathers set up our government to last, by trusting the process, and most importantly, by praying to God to preserve us and keep us "one nation, under God".

I'm depressed by the election results, but have hope and faith in God to help us through whatever lies ahead.

I also pray for strength and patience to continue caring for Mommy as her memory worsens. It's not just her memory, now, but her whole thought process...her mind just isn't working right. Keep us in your prayers, as we do all of you.

No comments: