Monday, April 2, 2012

"To The End"

Every year on Holy Thursday (Maudy Thursday), twelve volunteers in our church have their feet washed by our priest - re-enacting when Jesus washed the feet of his disciples. In doing so, Jesus showed them "the full extent of His love" (also translated as "to the end").

Never did this ritual re-enactment mean more to me than when I returned from Nacogdoches on Holy Thursday, following Janet's surgery 5 years ago. Before Mommy and I left to come home to West Monroe, I washed Janet's hair. (I remembered how I had hated going so long without getting my hair washed when I had my appendectomy - and how good it felt when I finally did - so, I wanted to make Janet feel better, and hopefully ease the job ahead for Paul - even if only a little bit.) It was awkward using a pitcher and basin, but we got the job done.


When Father read (John 13:1) about Jesus showing the full extent of His love to his disciples by washing their feet, I was biting my lip and trying desperately, and in-vain, to hold back my tears. We had just learned the extent of Janet's cancer, so with her diagnosis/prognosis on my mind, coupled with the realization of the love I had for my little sister, and how blessed I was to have been able to demonstrate it, in some small way, to her - I was overcome with emotion.

Over the years of caring for Mommy, as I took over bathing her, washing her hair, and, eventually, all forms of her personal hygiene, I kept that verse in mind. I never minded doing any of it, because it was my privilege to demonstrate my love for her in that way.

I was truly blessed to be able to show each of them "the full extent" of my love for them... to love them "to the end".

No comments: